REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
(CONSULTING SERVICES – SELECTION OF INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANTS)
National Innovation Ecosystem Project (GENIE) – P152441
Loan # IBRD-8595-GE
Assignment title: GENIE Project Manager
Reference No. GE-GITA- 85460-CS-INDV
The Government of Georgia has secured US$40 million financing from the World Bank (hereinafter the Bank) for a Georgia National Innovation Ecosystem (GENIE) Project. The main objective of the project is to increase innovative activities of the MSMEs and individuals in Georgia and their participation in the digital economy. Georgia Innovation and Technology Agency (GITA) is implementing agency for the GENIE Project.
The Project will enhance Georgia’s national innovation ecosystem through an integrated approach across three components, plus project implementation support.
Component 1: Innovation Infrastructure. The component will: (a) develop a network of Innovation Hubs and Innovation Centers in selected cities, towns and villages of the Borrower, as set forth in the Project Operations Manual; (b) design a Broadband-for-Development (BfD) program to support the increase in adoption and use of broadband internet services and advanced information technology by eligible households and eligible MSMEs, with a focus on rural areas, inter alia, by providing BfD Payments and related training, and preparation of the Broadband-for-Development program manual; and (c) pilot, and, as applicable, implement the Broadband-for-Development program, and provide BfD Payments and related training.
Component 2: Innovation Services. This component will deliver services, many in coordination with the Community Innovation Centers (CICs) and Regional Innovation Hubs (RIHs), tailored to Project beneficiaries at various stages/levels of the innovation ecosystem. The component will carry out outreach and communication activities, and provide training and technical assistance in support of: (a) building the innovation community of the Borrower, and organizing and carrying out innovation competitions; (b) carrying out periodic skills needs assessments of firms and developing digital economy skills of individuals; and (c) developing the innovation capacity of individuals and firms.
Component 3: Innovation Financing. This component will support the: (a) provision of matching grants, selection of eligible MSMEs for receipt of matching grants, and supervision of matching grants; (b) provision of technical assistance to eligible MSMEs to prepare and implement sub-projects (with the matching grants); and (c) provision of technical assistance to stimulate alternative forms of innovation financing and investment in the digital economy.
The objective of this assignment is to manage efficiently overall implementation of the Project, ensuring smooth implementation of each activity, including managing the Project implementation team personnel and liaising with GITA staff and consultants as needed. Support GITA to achieve the project’s implementation goals within the given constraints. Successful development and implementation of all project procedures: Execution, Monitoring, Control and Completion. Optimization of the allocated necessary inputs and their application to meeting the project’s pre-defined objectives. Reform and upgrade of all processes and procedures as necessary to enhance the sustainability of a project
Project Manager will have the following scope of work:
- Ensure adherence of all Project activities with the Project’s procedures and protocols as established under the Project Operations Manual (POM) and ensure adherence to such procedures, including Environmental Systems Management Framework (ESMF), and Environmental Management Plans (EMP), as well as any other relevant documents;
- Ensure effective coordination, communication and consultations with all stakeholders including Ministries (MoESD, Ministry of Finance,) and/or other beneficiaries and facilitate the preparation and public release of Project information;
- Ensure timely and sound accomplishment of the project’s activities and adherence to terms and conditions of the Loan Agreement and timely project budgeting;
- Accomplish financial objectives of the project by forecasting requirements, preparing a semi-annual and an annual budget, scheduling expenditures, analysing variances, initiating corrective action.
- Draw up and submit requests for disbursement of Project funds;
- Develop Terms of Reference for project consultants/experts hired under the project and ensure proper delivery of technical services and submission of technical and other reports;
- Undertake the monitoring and evaluation of performance indicators and outcomes against the targets, as agreed with the World Bank;
- Monitor full compliance of all components with the implementation, legal, procurement, fiduciary, safeguards and technical requirements of the Project;
- Implement necessary steps and measures agreed with GITA management to overcome any critical delays in Project implementation;
- Evaluate performance and operational effectiveness (including ongoing evaluations of staff and feedback on their performance), and make recommendations for improvement where necessary;
- Develop and supervise implementation of standardised administrative and operating procedures for GITA, including, but not limited to, maintenance of record-keeping and data maintenance systems; reporting formats for financial transactions of the Project; procurement and contract monitoring system;
- Monitor on a regular basis status of the Project’s activities (by drafting and updating implementation plans and schedules, operational manuals, payment projections, etc.) by drafting and submitting comprehensive progress reports, as mandated under the terms and conditions of the Loan Agreement; drafting proposed changes to Project documents to reflect results;
- Transfer knowledge to Client’s designated staff on project management, so that the Agency develops a trained staff with necessary experience, and appropriate skills, to enable them of managing its projects. The transfer of knowledge and skills will be both through working closely with Client’s staff on day-to-day tasks as well as through formal training (e.g. small classes, workshops, etc.)
- Assist Client with reports, memoranda, correspondence as may be required for the implementation of the project;
- Perform other duties related to the support of Project implementation as required by the Client.
Timeframe and Duration.
The Consultant would be engaged on a full time basis for 12 months and is subject to extension based on satisfactory performance and need of the project. The assignment is envisaged to start in January, 2018. Consultant will travel as needed. The Consultant shall report to the Chairman of GITA.
Georgia’s Innovation & Technology Agency (GITA) now invites eligible individual consultants ("Consultants") to express their interest in providing the Services. The Consultant shall have the required qualification and experience, which will be evaluated with following criteria:
- Master’s degree in management, business administration or related field of study, or Bachelor’s degree in any field and 10 years’ work experience in a project management;
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification will be considered as an advantage.
- At least 5 years’ overall project management experience in International Financial Institution (IFI) financed projects, or in private sector projects with similar complexity and scale;
- At least 3 years’ experience managing teams of five (5) or more members, on complex, multi-year projects, or leading large, complex, multi-year projects involving inputs of multiple (five or more) team members.
- Fluent in Georgian language;
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills in English language. Required level - Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) C2.
- Knowledge of standard office technologies and project management tools (MS office, MS Project);
Interested eligible candidates must provide information demonstrating that they are qualified to perform the services and are invited to submit their CV (Curriculum Vitae) in English, which shall include the following information: education background, employment records, description of similar assignments carried out, relevant skill sets, etc. and two references from previous work relevant to the assignment.
Note: GITA reserves the right to verify submitted references and use obtained information for evaluation purposes.
The Consultant will be selected in accordance with the method for Selection of Individual Consultant (IC) set out in WB’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits & Grants by World Bank Borrowers, January 2011, revised July 2014.
The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraph 1.9 of the World Bank's Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits & Grants by World Bank Borrowers, January 2011, revised July 2014 ("Consultant Guidelines"), setting forth the World Bank's policy on conflict of interest.
Further information can be obtained at the address below during office hours from 9:00 a.m. to 18:00 p.m. at Georgia’s Innovation & Technology Agency.
Expression of interest accompanied with CV and two references in English shall be submitted to the email below, not later than:
December 17, 2018 17:00 hours
Georgia’s Innovation & Technology Agency
7, Innovation str. 0114, TechPark, Okrokana, Tbilisi, Georgia
Tel.: +995 591016716
Please include the title of the announced position in the email subject line