REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
(CONSULTING SERVICES – SELECTION OF INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANTS)
National Innovation Ecosystem Project (GENIE) – P152441
Loan # IBRD-8595-GE
Assignment title: Startup Matching Grants Program Business Coach
Reference No. GE-GITA-117425-CS-INDV; GE-GITA-117429-CS-INDV; GE-GITA-117430-CS-INDV; GE-GITA-117431-CS-INDV; GE-GITA-117432-CS-INDV
The Government of Georgia has secured support from the World Bank Group (the Bank) for the Georgia National Innovation Ecosystem (GENIE) Project in the amount of US $23.5 million. The main objective of the project is to increase innovative activities of the micro, small, and medium-sized enterprises (MSMEs) and individuals in Georgia and their participation in the digital economy. The Project will enhance Georgia’s national innovation ecosystem through an integrated approach across three components, plus project implementation support.
Component 1: Innovation Infrastructure. The component will: (a) develop a network of Regional Innovation Hubs (RIH) and Community Innovation Centers (CICs) in selected cities, towns and villages of Georgia; and (b) design and pilot a Broadband-for-Development (BfD) program to support the increase in adoption and use of broadband internet services and advanced information technology by eligible households and eligible Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs), with a focus on rural areas.
Component 2: Innovation Services. This component provides training and technical assistance in support of developing the digital economy skills of individuals and support of firms receiving financial support under the Innovation and Startup Matching Grants programs.
Component 3: Innovation Financing. This component supports the: (a) provision of Matching Grants, selection of eligible MSMEs for receipt of Matching Grants and supervision of Matching Grants; (b) provision of technical assistance to Eligible MSMEs to prepare and implement Sub-Projects; (c) provision of Applied Research Grants to selected scientists through the Shota Rustaveli National Science Foundation (the Foundation); and (d) provision of technical assistance and related costs to the Foundation for the administration of the Applied Research Grants program, as well as to GITA and Enterprise Georgia, in administering support to MSMEs.
Implementing Institutions. The central institution responsible for coordination of the project is Georgia’s Innovation and Technology Agency (GITA) under the Ministry of Economy and Sustainable Development of Georgia (MoESD). GITA is responsible for all project implementation except for the Applied Research Grants program implemented by the Shota Rustaveli National Science Foundation. It will coordinate the gathering and processing of the results of monitoring, reporting, fiduciary functions, and safeguard procedures in close cooperation with relevant institutions participating in the project.
The objectives of this assignment are: 1) to train and consult the pre-selected applicants to build their pitching skills 2) to help with transformation from product-driven to customer-driven philosophy 3) prepare them for questions typically asked by A level seed investors (Investment Committee Members).
Scope of Work
Following the objective of this assignment the Business Coach shall assume the following scope of work:
- Familiarize itself with the Startup Matching Grants Manual and other documents relevant to the program;
- In coordination with other Business Coaches, develop the quality coaching program/methodology (acceptable by the Client) including all visual aid materials for the pre-selected applicants invited to pitch their projects and answer the questions imposed by the Startup Matching Grants Investment Committee members;
- Conduct the training for the pre-selected applicants: 1) to familiarize them with pitching techniques and help them build their pitching skills; 2) to transform product-driven to customer-driven philosophy;
- Get acquainted with the pre-selected proposals, as well as take into consideration evaluation, comments and recommendations drawn by the Peer Reviewers and individually consult each assigned applicant, help them prepare for pitch and Q&A sessions, provide support in preparation for presentations;
- When appropriate, refer trainees to other sources of information, advice or further support for a specific area of focus of their business;
- Assess the potential for global scalability of the proposed products/services and provide necessary recommendations;
- Provide necessary support to the assigned applicants requiring urgent assistance. The Business Coaches shall schedule office hours when applicant can call and seek for the support;
Consultant prior to commencement of the services, shall sign the Declaration of Impartiality and Confidentiality.
Location, Timeframe and Duration
Part of the Consultant’s services shall be delivered in Tbilisi, Georgia. The number of individual consultations and trainings conducted will depend on number of proposals pre-selected for the final evaluation.
Assignment is expected to require at least 5 business days of field visit (Tbilisi, Georgia) as well as Consultant will be providing home-based time input (approximately 3 business days).
Duration of entire assignment is 1 month and it is expected to commence in beginning of August, 2019.
Georgia’s Innovation & Technology Agency (GITA) now invites eligible individual consultants ("Consultants") to express their interest in providing the Services. The Consultant shall have the required qualification and experience, which will be evaluated with following criteria:
Consultant shall have:
- At least 5 years of international experience in Top Management, Business Development, Investing in innovation-based entreprises (preferable A-level VC firm/angel), Technology Commercialization, Product Management for innovation-based products, Startup Marketing, Innovation-based Entrepreneurship, internationalization of innovation-based scalable enterprise;
- Experience in coaching/mentoring in a top level organization such as startup accelerator, incubator, Venture Fund will be an advantage;
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills.
Note: GITA reserves the right to verify submitted references and use obtained information for evaluation purposes.
Interested eligible candidates must provide information demonstrating that they are qualified to perform the services and are invited to submit their CV (Curriculum Vitae) in English, which shall include the following information: education background, employment records, description of similar assignments carried out, relevant skill sets, etc.
The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraph 1.9 of the World Bank's Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits & Grants by World Bank Borrowers, January 2011, revised July 2014 ("Consultant Guidelines"), setting forth the World Bank's policy on conflict of interest.
The Consultant will be selected in accordance with the method for Selection of Individual Consultant (IC) set out in WB’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits & Grants by World Bank Borrowers, January 2011, revised July 2014.
Further information can be obtained at the address below during office hours from 9:00 a.m. to 18:00 p.m. at Georgia’s Innovation & Technology Agency, Tel: +995 591016716, Mr. Rati Gvelesiani, Procurement Consultant.
Expression of interest accompanied with CV in English shall be submitted to the email address indicated below not later than: